Monday, November 15, 2010

Butterscotch!!!!

Anyone can try something new, I like to try old things. This weekend I dug out an old cookbook that used to belong to my George's grandmother, Nona.  I don't know if Nona ever made candy, but this book is full of great illustrations of pre-plastic candy making techniques.  In the book the butterscotch is poured onto greased marble and molded by something called "caramel bars"  then chopped up with a "candy hatchet".  I am once again very thankful for my molds and may "Pam". 



Here is what I did:


2  c sugar
3/4 c water
1/2 c corn syrup

Combine in saucepan and cook to 270F, stirring only until the sugar is dissolved.  Then add:

1/2 t salt
1/4 c honey
2 sticks butter, cut into chunks



IMAG0145

Cook to 310F, stirring constanly, then remove from heat.
IMAG0147


 After bubbling stops add 1 dram butter rum flavoring oil.  Pour into greased molds.  After setting up, break apart and dust with powdered sugar.


This was really easy and so good!  I am sure I will have to make at least another batch before christmas, and this will undoubtedly continue to be one of my regular candies. 

Note:  I edited this post a few days later to correct some things that caused me to end up with chewy caramels instead of hard butterscotch.  It's good though, so I will post that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment