Thursday, July 4, 2013

Marge's Sandwiches

It is that time of year again where I get really bored with cooking.  I am exhausted when I get home from work and it's hot and everyone is grumpy.  I am greeted at the door (or on the cell phone) with "What's for supper?" quickly followed by "What are we doing this evening?"....so dinner lately has consisted of sandwiches from frozen stocks of sloppy joes, ham bbq, pulled pork, or something similar. My recipes for the sloppy joes and ham bbq come from a friend of my Mom's growing up: Marge MacAdoo.  Marge had 4 boys and worked shifts at the local glass plant. Somehow my summer memories are filled with our two families spending weekends camping and fishing and going on vacation together, always with at least one of the meals being one of these sandwiches.  Looking back that seems like a huge accomplishment to me.  I don't remember Marge considering herself a fabulous cook, but her sandwich recipes have gotten me through many busy nights and weekends of my own.  And I have never once bought a can of Manwich.

Marge's Sloppy Joes


1 lb hamburger
1 small onion, chopped
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 t worchestershire sauce
1/2 t dry mustard or 1 t prepared yellow mustard
1 1/2 t vinegar
1 T brown sugar or molasses
1/2 c catsup
1 t chili powder

*these days I usually at least triple this and freeze in 4 portion batches.

1) brown the ground beef  and onions
2) add the rest of the ingredients, mix and simmer 30 minutes or until reduced.

Marge's Ham BBQ


1 lb chipped chopped ham (these days I use Larry's Ham from Schnurr's)
1 catsup
3 T brown sugar or molasses
2 T cider vinegar
2 T worchestershire sauce
1/2 c water

Mix all ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened.

*these days I usually at least triple this and freeze in 4 portion batches.




No comments:

Post a Comment