Thursday, July 4, 2013

The New Stuffed Zucchini

I love my stuffed zucchini recipe, I really do.  The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't find small squash around here after about July 4th and the farmer's markets don't hit full speed until about Mid July.  Also, I have a bunch of new friends at work who are vegetarians and I have been thinking about increasing my repertoire of vegetarian main dish recipe that will fit my fix and freeze lifestyle.  I was watching cooking shows last Saturday morning and I saw Rachel Ray do something like this:


Zucchini Rollups 



2 medium firm zucchinicooking spray
salt


Slice the zucchini lengthwise and spray both sides with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt.
Roast at 350 for about 20 minutes or unit bendy
Cool and drain.

1/2 c diced sweet onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2T olive oil
1 T Italian seasoning
4 c fresh spinach

Saute until done, cool.

Combine cooled veggies with:

2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Place filling mixture on zucchini slices and roll up. Freeze or place in baking pan and top with a small amount of jarred pasta sauce.  Bake at 350 until hot.


I made my version for dinner last Saturday and it was a big hit with me and with George.  Rebecca and Julie ate it  few bites at least and didn't really complain, so I am considering that a moderate hit.  I took the leftovers to Melissa, and she liked it too.  I haven't tried freezing it yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.  I am also planning to give it a shot with eggplant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment