Friday, August 27, 2010
Tonight I tried to harvest the horseradish we inherited from my Dad last spring. The patch had grown to about 2 feet sqare and about 4 feet tall. I had visions of 3 or 4 half pint jars processed and put up for the winter. I dug up all the plants and all the root system I got was about the equivilent of 3 carrots. So I dutifully ground it up in the food processor with a little vinegar and got a little over a half pint and just stuck it in the fridge. Also it seems to be a little woody. I guess I need to research better when to harvest. I re-planted about 1/3 of the roots, so I will try again next year.