Friday, August 27, 2010

Horseradish Dissapointment

Tonight I tried to harvest the horseradish we inherited from my Dad last spring.  The patch had grown to about 2 feet sqare and about 4 feet tall.  I had visions of 3 or 4 half pint jars processed and put up for the winter.  I dug up all the plants and all the root system I got was about the equivilent of 3 carrots.  So I dutifully ground it up in the food processor with a little vinegar and got a little over a half pint and just stuck it in the fridge.  Also it seems to be a little woody.  I guess I need to research better when to harvest.  I re-planted about 1/3 of the roots, so I will try again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Try harvesting it in the sprring just as the plants are starting. You can get enough any time of the year to make a little for on the side, but if you want to make it for future use, it's better in the spring-stronger and less woody.

    ReplyDelete